Friday, June 13, 2008

Happy Birthday Madison!

June 14, 1996

One Year Old

Four Years Old

Six Years Old

Ten Years Old



Tomorrow, Flag Day, is Madison's 12th birthday. What is Flag Day, you may ask? In the United States, Flag Day is celebrated on June 14. It commemorates the adoption of the flag of the United States, which happened that day by resolution of the Second Continental Congress in 1777.

I've thought and thought about what to write, how to be creative, what to say. What does a mother say to her only child who is perfect, yet fallible, beautiful, tall, so courageous, generous to a fault, gifted. One who can do things I’ve never thought of, aspires to do things I’ve only dreamed of. She is her own person, comfortable within herself. She often aspires to help out those in need, and rarely thinks of herself first. I have “caught” her in random acts of kindness and she thinks nothing of it. Her generous manner has often caused her grief when others have been unkind to her, and she doesn’t understand why.

When I was pregnant, I made a “Time capsule” for her. Included in it is the newspaper from the day she was born, video tapes, major magazines, etc. Also included in it are letters from her family. I sent many family members a blank piece of paper and asked them to write a letter to the future grown-up Madison. In there I wrote to this future adult child of mine, wishing all the happiness a mother could pass on, all the dreams and aspirations that I wished one day would be hers. I look forward to the day that she opens it and reads what her family thought of her when she was barely a part of this world.
I often wonder what she will be “when she grows up”. She has been through the gambit, like many of us – veterinarian, artist, author, scientist, marine biologist, astronaut, nurse. Only time will tell.

All in all, to me, the perfect kid. I love her with all my heart, and honestly couldn’t imagine a life without her. I LOVED homeschooling her for 4 years, and anxiously look forward to doing so again.

So here’s to you my brave girl! I love you with all my heart! Happy Birthday!

Twelve Years Old tomorrow!

2 comments:

The McClain's said...

SUPER Sweet! She is a great girl! We'll miss her...

Love you and glad you are feeling better!
Love,
Brooke :)

Moorea said...

Happy Birthday Madison. You may not
remember us- the two boys & a mom
from sign language years ago... we know the Christnesens. Anyhow, we wish you a Happy Birthday!
Mrs. Richardson, Josiah & Daniel