Monday, March 8, 2010

In the pursuit of lasagna

Once again, it's one of those things that I wouldn't be craving if I was in the States, but when it's not readily available, somehow you find you just HAVE to have it. So, the pursuit of lasagna started with a recipe I received in my in-box from one of my favorite on-line recipe web sites. I looked over the ingredients and knew that it would take some effort, but I could find all the ingredients I wanted even if it took me 4 stores to go to. And so it began. The store for initial ingredients. Another store for spices that weren't at the first. A third store for the cheese I needed, and finally to the butcher for the meat and sausage I wanted. Now that may not seem like much trecking around - but just envision yourself in your home town. What it would take to go to four different stores that are on opposite ends of your town. You then realize that it would take you a long time - in fact it took me about 3 hours to get everything I needed. I finally made it home, and then cooked for the next hour and a half to prepare the lasagna. It is currently sitting in my refrigerator to absorb all those lovely spices and will be cooked for dinner tomorrow. Can't wait! So, the next time you want to throw together a "quick" lasagna, just remember that in other parts of the world, it takes a heck of a lot longer :-)

Buen Provecho!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The difference - You will enjoy every bite of that lasagna. With it so available here in the US, I will enjoy the first bite and stuff down the rest because it's on my plate. For real, ENJOY!