Monday, March 29, 2010

Cooking this week

So, I've tried this before - let's see how long this will last. I start my week looking frantically (?!) in my freezer and in my "pantry" to see what I will be cooking each day. So, instead, I am trying to shop efficiently - and if any of you have shopped in a third world country, you know that this is SO important. Typically I buy all my standard things, and am quite successful in making hearty, fulfilling meals. But, as all of you who are the cooks of the house know - this does tend to lead to the same ol' thing week after week. So, I'm making a menu...then I'm shopping efficiently! So - what's on the menu this week?

Today Mike is making coconut milk seafood soup - so I will be making the homemade sour dough bread - link to how to make a starter and a recipe for the bread (that is currently rising) to serve alongside.

Tomorrow we are having marinated ranch broiled chicken. This calls for pounding down the chicken, then marinating over night - so I've prepped it for tomorrow's cooking...



Wednesday comes Potato Soup, Thursday will bring up Dijon-Tarragon Cream Chicken (although without the Tarragon as there isn't any in the country of Honduras - so will substitute with fresh oregano from my garden); Friday we will be having choritzo alfredo sauce over egg noodles. Saturday we will have warm steak and potato salad - and on Sunday? That remains to be seen. As I can't find any butcher around here that sells lamb, will have to see how creative I can be.

On another note, I've been thinking about starting a cooking club out in Armenia Bonito to bring the women together once a week, a small bible study, and learning to cook something new. So I've started experimenting in my kitchen to see what would be easy to make, not expensive, and would be able to be replicated in the houses of the women in Armenia. My first thing I tried was candied peanuts (I've linked to the site for the candied peanuts). And let me tell you - we sure enjoyed the experiment! They came out GREAT! Let me know if you have any ideas! The kitchen is my joy - and I love coming up with new and fun stuff to make!

Cooking the peanut concoction...

Final product...


Buen Provecho!

4 comments:

rebecca.estes said...

Yum! Go Erin! This is inspiring me to be more creative. Btw, Savannah will be thinking of you guys as she is eating dinner at a Honduran restaurant in LA tonight. She is on a week-long mission trip in inner city LA with FBC. ¡Que disfrutes de esta comida tan rica!

Abrazos, Becky :)

John and Kathy Clow said...

Girl! We are going to get along great!!! I did a baking class with the women in MX - it was a blast!

Unknown said...

Yum! You'll have to post the candied peanuts recipe...we have more peanuts than we know what to do with! And also... how do you make your sourdough... I would kill for a good loaf of that right now!

:o)

Lori...
(even though for some reason it says it is from my mom!)

Unknown said...

Just linked to both recipes. Enjoy!