Monday, October 19, 2015

Inadequate

We all live in our own space, our own community, in what we know.  When we first came to Honduras and looked at ALL the things that pulled at our heart strings, that spoke to the sinful nature of man, starving families, prostituted children, lean-to houses...the needs seemed insurmountable.  And...in fact....they are.

At times I write about a funny situation, a frustrating situation, or one that touches my heart.  But most of the time it seems inadequate.   The needs of the world are huge.  People groups slaughtered, babies dumped in trash cans...but the worlds needs are not mine to care for.  God called our family to this little part of Honduras and now on to the even greater needs of Equitorial Guinea, Africa - we barely scrape the surface of the overwhelming needs.  But, Christ did not touch every person He encountered.  He did not cure the ailments of every sick person in his midst.  What He did do was save the world....through Him....through His payment on the cross.

This is what I keep in mind when I try my hand at caring just a tiny bit for one of His.  If you go into what you are doing looking for accolades, or looking for the approval from man - you are going about it all in the wrong way.

Matthew 6:1-4
“Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven.
“Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

So why  do we write blog posts about stuff we do?  Many reasons.  One - YOU are part of our team.  You encourage us, pray for us, financially support us...and what you do in support of us, you do in support of what we are doing wherever we are.  Secondly - for God's glory.  How one small act,  one simple gesture, one small box of food can make a huge and lasting impact in His people by what we do.  We are all part of this huge body, the hand, the foot, the ear,  the eye - and we are called to be God's hands and feet on Earth.  To care for His people.  That is why we blog.  That you may be the hand and feet that God has called us to be - although you are not here physically, you are here because we are here.

And yet...I still can't help but feel inadequate.  It's just little ol' me thinking she can make a difference.  But the way I finally have come to see it is this - I am not here to save the world...God already did that...I am here to help that ONE person...that ONE child...and to be obedient to Him who sent me.  So that's what I do - broken, sinful, inadequate, obedient me... 

And truly what keeps me going day after stressful/horrible/difficult day, the words I long to hear when my race is done, "Well done...my good and faithful servant."
 

No comments: