Thursday, February 6, 2014

Working myself out of a job...

Part of our desire here is to work ourselves out of a job.  I know that seems kind of odd, but our desire, and the desire of our mission organization, Mission to the World, is to make ourselves obsolete.  Recently, after 5 1/2 years of having a Kids Club program, we turned that ministry over to our church plant in the community of Armenia Bonito.  Now starts the process of the clinic.  Over a year ago I hired a Honduran national, Dr. Roger who has been working not only in our permanent clinic, but our mobile clinics as well.  To prepare for our future furlough, I need someone to partially fill my shoes while I am gone.  My desire was to hire a nurse so she could do many of the things that I do, but the cost of hiring a nurse is exorbitant.  We simply do not have sufficient funds that come in to the clinic to cover a nurses salary.  As it is, I have to raise funds for Dr. Roger (of which I still am lacking funds...if you would like to make a one-time or on-going contribution it is SUPER easy...just go here  https://donations.mtw.org/donate/AddDesignation.aspx?No=92410.

So, after many interviews I hired Dilcia.  The funds we make daily will cover her salary.  She is a quick learner, from the community, a single mom, and it is so great that we not only have a great staff member, but we are able to help "one of our own."

It is good to know things will be taken care of while I am gone - between Doctor Roger and Dilcia, they've "got this".  And no worries...I will STILL be working the clinic between now and when we leave on furlough. When I return from furlough, the luxury of staff will give me the opportunity to start doing some serious community outreach. I have a grand plan to start changing the health habits of Armenia Bonito when I return.  Stay tuned....

No comments: