Tuesday, May 8, 2012

So what DOES $25.00 buy?

a LOT!....corn flour, wheat flour, salt, sugar, pasta, spaghetti sauce, cornflakes, oil, shortening, powdered milk, rice, beans, sugar, chicken bullion, baking soda, chlorine, dish soap, laundry soap, and napkins.


When my dad was here, I needed to do some grocery shopping.  While I was there, I was taking a second cart around the store and filling it with basic necessities.  My dad asked what I was doing.  I explained to him that once in awhile we provide a sack of food to very poor families.  Now I realize that that definition covers almost everyone in Armenia Bonito.  However, we do have a criteria we follow for selecting people, and usually it's through a local pastor.  So, I was purchasing these items and  my dad said, "tell me more."  And so I did.  I know this family well, her children are heavily involved in most of our ministries, and her husband was killed this time last year.  Needless to say, she's barely been getting by, and was currently without any food of any kind in her home.  He was so moved by this story that he purchased the food.  Then, once my dad returned home he called to tell me that he was going to be contributing $25.00 each month specifically targeted to these food baskets.  Today I purchased food to bring to another family.  Her name is Elida and she lives with her 1 1/2 year old son in a tiny little room and she rolls her mat out to sleep on the floor.

Elida and her son

her small little house with a mat she rolls out for a bed along with her entire belongings that fit into one bag
 

No comments: