Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Prenatal Class


Awhile ago you may have seen a post on making a placenta and a uterus.  The purpose of that was to start preparing for giving a prenatal class in Armenia Bonito.  As far as I know, there is only one other person in all of Honduras that is giving prenatal classes.  The concept is, if you will, foreign.  So I honestly didn't know if anyone would even attend.  How could I lure women to come?  I finally decided that if they came to my class, learned what I taught, they would receive the necessary items to have their baby at the hospital (a hat, socks, diapers, onesie, blanket), and I would attend them in the hospital when they were in labor.  And not one, but four ladies came!  Now, my Spanish is definitely better than when I first arrived 3 years ago - but explaining labor, Kegel exercises, Braxton-Hicks contractions, perineal massage can be challenging in English - so I knew my Spanish was going to be put to the test.  But all the ladies had a GREAT time!  And hour and a half later, I had taught them so much stuff, sent them home with lots to read, and plenty of things to practice at home.  The funny looks I got when we were practicing our patterned breathing was quite comical to see - but I expressed the huge importance of this, and I think they got the idea.    I plan on having a class the third Tuesday of each month - and am hoping to educate a lot of ladies!  I look forward to seeing where this will take us!

1 comment:

The McClain's said...

Erin, I am so amazed at the way the Lord continues to use you! This is so incredibly cool! I would have loved to have been there to hear that explanation of Keigel excersies, etc!! :) Love you, girl!!