Sunday, June 15, 2008

The two dads in my life



Above is a great picture. It represents the incredible men in my life. My dad (the cute short bald man on the right) and my husband (the cute short bald man on the left).

My dad was one of those kind of guys growing up that I both feared and respected. He was one of those men who was quiet most of the time, and when he wasn't, watch out!!! My wake-up call every morning growing up in our first home was through an intercom system that ran throughout the house and it went like this...Z..Z...ZZZ (that's me), quiet, serene, asleep. Then..."GET UP AND AT 'EM!!!" Which lead to a startling awakening, but let me tell you - there was no hitting of THAT snooze button! And one of my favorite night time rememberances, still holds true to today. If I am visiting home, and sleep there - it's ALWAYS - "Good night...I love you...sleep tight and don't let the bed bugs bite..." The memories are wonderful - camping under the stars listening to my dad play his harmonica by the camp fire, or a wonderful reciting of The Cremation of Sam McGee by Robert W. Service - he had/has this ENTIRE poem memorized - check it out if you have the chance. We also played Spoonerithums (too long to explain) and sang songs in the car on our long trips going places. Yes, the goodies - There's a Hole in the Bucket, and Roll me Over in the Clover - I will not provide you with those words, but suffice it to say my dad changed MANY of the lines, and it wasn't until I was an adult - and in the Army of all things - that I learned the true meaning of this song...too funny! My dad has been an inspiration, motivation to do well, a solid rock in my life, a man who loves my mother with all his heart, loves ME with all of his heart, and an all around good-guy! He's a GREAT man, and my life has been better because of him. Love you dad!

My husband is my friend, the father of my child, an honest, Christian, beautiful man. My life has also been the better because of him. He loves me with all his heart, and our beautiful child with all of his heart. It's been an honor and a blessing to have him by my side for 18 years. Love you husband!

No comments: