Saturday, January 9, 2010

Making it from scratch

I used to get mad...okay - maybe not mad...just grumpy when I couldn't find something that I wanted at the store. Now - I just buckle down and figure out how to make it. When I couldn't find sourdough bread - I made it (including the starter) from scratch. No sourkraut? From scratch. Ravioli's - from scratch - the pasta, the ricotta cheese - everything! Tortillas, empanadas, whatever - from the basics. The latest was apple butter. Now, I don't know how many people like apple butter, but it was a fun thing I used to eat growing up. My grandmother introduced it to me. So - I started on my quest to figure out how to make it. One of my resources I use is a cookbook put out called The Wycliffe International Cookbook. This is a cookbook that makes things from the basics, no "use this cake mix...or purchase 2 packages of refrigerator bisquits, etc". It also has a substitute page - if you can't find a certain item, then it gives ideas to use instead. This is where I found the recipe I needed. End result - FANTASTIC!!!!!

10 apples peeled and ready


ingredients added and cooking


3 hours later


The end results - YUM!!!

4 comments:

The McClain's said...

Ummmmmmmm...YOU ROCK! :) and I NEED that cookbook! Love you bunches!

Amanda Tippy said...

I loved the "More with less" cookbook and - "extending the table" - might want to search them out the next time you are in the states

Amy Macy said...

I'm not sure if I'll do this posting thing correctly, but I just had to say thanks for reminding me that I need to get that cookbook before I go to Paraguay.
Brooke - Dori Pittman has a copy if you want to see it! I borrowed it when I was in CR.

Cathi Duggan said...

Yummy...yep, I guess all of us are fantastic old timey cooks now--have to be to stay within our budgets!