Friday, October 21, 2011


I'm in San Jose hanging out with my mom and dad.  My mom is in the hospital very sick.  Her current state:  she has a pulmonary embolism (a blood clot in her lung), her kidneys are failing, infection, and intubated (a tube in her lungs).  Had a meeting with the doctor today to decide on the next step.  My mom is a "full code" meaning that she wants everything done for her.  So, based on her desires, the next step is to put in a tracheostomy (a tube into her windpipe - and the ventilator attached to that tube) so the tube is not down her throat.  This is done for long-term care of people on ventilators.  The next step is to place a feeding tube directly into her stomach so she can receive tube feedings.  And another thing is, because she has a clot in her lungs (pulmonary embolism), she is at a huge risk for additional clots because she has some unknown bleeding disorder.  So they want to place a filter near her heart so if a clot does come, it won't go into her heart - which is a death sentence.  So, that filter is probably going to be placed in the next day or two, and the tracheostomy will be placed as soon as the surgeon is able to get her in - but that still may not be for another week.  So, prayers for clear guidance of the best care for her, the hands of the doctors and nurses providing that care (she is receiving EXCELLENT care, by the way) and for peace.

No comments: