Monday, October 24, 2011

"Do you want to live?"

If you've not been through something like this before, it can be quite a life changing experience.  If you haven't sat at someone's bedside and have had to ask them the most difficult of all questions, "do you want to live?" this kind of thing can be humbling.  Looking into the face of someone you love as they silently scream or cry (silently because there is a tube shoved down their throat), as they pound their fists as best they can on their bed, as they frantically nod "yes" when you ask the question, "do you feel like your body has failed you?"  And time and time again you have to hold their hand back from pulling out the very tube that is giving them life.  And finally, as the realization hits them - "this is what my life has become", and they rage against their very bodies, cry out (silently) "it's not fair."  Watching this and providing encouragement is all I have to offer.  It's a tough place to be...and this is where I find myself...

Prayers for my dad, my mom, the doctors and nurses as they care for her the best they can.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I've seen this situation time and again with total strangers at work, but thank God I've never had to face this with one of my loved ones. I can't imagine how heartbreaking it must be for you and your family. May God make His presence known to you in this difficult time.

Love,
Matthew

Unknown said...

Matt, it is times like this that it is good to be reminded that we in the health care business are about people. Not about procedures, not about medication, but about people. There are hurting souls, hurting families, and hurting patients that look to you to make it better. Remember to take care of the person behind that procedure - the person behind that medication... THAT's what it's all about!

Unknown said...

Yet another reason I want to be like you when I grow up. Your heart is beautiful. What a privilege to be your friend. <3