Thursday, February 24, 2011

Missionaries taking care of Missionaries

One of the things I really love about the missionary community in La Ceiba is that they take care of each other. There are no denomination lines, no "my church" "your church" mentality - we are all here for the same thing - to glorify Christ and bring His Word to those who don't know it. In the midst of that, I've had missionaries not on our team jump start my car, pull my truck out of a mud pit, drive me someplace when I've been without a car, pray for me, pick things up at the grocery store, etc. You get the drift. I've also been able to help out our own team mates - stitches, injections, assessment of ear infections, pneumonia, etc. Today I received a phone call from a fellow missionary friend of mine - Julie - to tell me that her 15 year old son was pretty sick with dehydration. After getting a good history, to make sure he didn't have any one of those cool tropical diseases, he pretty much was "just" dehydrated, but could probably be well served to get an IV. The way things are here, you can go to any pharmacy and get pretty much anything/everything you need medically. I had all the IV start supplies, alcohol, flush for the IV, tape, etc, but not the IV solution. So off to the pharmacy, and 10 minutes later back at his house with solutions in hand. He is now sitting comfortably at his house with his IV hung up with a hanger on the curtain rod watching a movie. And he was a GREAT patient! All in a days work...

Me in my element...


We leave back to Arizona tomorrow morning where we will be spending our final 6 weeks before we come back to Honduras for good. It's been incredible being here, enjoying our time, reuniting with friends and team mates, and all our dear friends in Armenia Bonito.

No comments: