Saturday, April 23, 2016

The Odyssey of washing

Psalm 51:2 - Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin! 

"You visit the earth and water it,
you greatly enrich it;
the river of God is full of water;
you provide the people with grain,
for so you have prepared it.” - See more at: https://sojo.net/magazine/november-2013/10-bible-verses-about-water#sthash.eBP1Yd30.dpuf
 John 4:14 - But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.

Isaiah 12:3 - Therefore with joy shall ye draw water out of the wells of salvation.

Proverbs 5:15 - Drink waters out of thine own cistern, and running waters out of thine own well.


I feel like Homer would have enjoyed my Odyssey in washing...I feel like a character in his work - although I certainly hope I don't encounter any cyclops, but the adventure continues....

After my last washing blog, a few things have changed...

We are not authorized to use the tank well water, we MUST hand collect our water from the lower well water.  This is definitely a 2-person job - took us four trips to get enough water to use for the wash cycle, and then the rinse cycle.


Headed down to the well...




































However, this was not before I needed to hand scrub some clothing I knew would not come clean in my simple washing machine - so I took  my soap (specifically made for this process) to the scrub board which is conveniently located next to the well.  I hand scrubbed the item of clothing, then moved up to washing my clothes.


















We were then informed about the huge cost of electricity (nice to know after the almost month of being here), so our clothes will be line dried as much as possible (baring rain, etc.) then thrown in the dry cycle for at least 10 minutes to kill off any lurking bot fly larvae.





"You visit the earth and water it,
you greatly enrich it;
the river of God is full of water;
you provide the people with grain,
for so you have prepared it.” - See more at: https://sojo.net/magazine/november-2013/10-bible-verses-about-water#sthash.eBP1Yd30.dpuf



2 comments:

Unknown said...

You are definitely having real African experiences!! :-)

GranMarty said...

Wow! Seems to me, the "little" things are always the hardest and take up an exorbitant amount of time—time you'd much rather use for something else. I guess you won't be separating the whites from the darks, will you?!

Praying for you.