Monday, July 3, 2017

Maintaining Traditions Part 3



I've written two previous posts about maintaining traditions part 1 here and part 2 here.

Once again I find myself in yet another country that is not the U.S. trying to figure out how to maintain that tradition of celebrating our Independence Day in the U.S.  I think what that will look like is cooking a "traditional" meal, watching fireworks on the computer, a few renditions of the National Anthem, and call it a night.

I think I long for the picnics, parades, community fireworks, and the military - but I know that there is a contentment that I must also find wherever I am.  I also recognize that not everyone shares the same desire for this particular tradition.  Each family, each person, finds the traditions that they can take with them wherever they are to help "normalize" their life in the midst of a foreign nation and a different culture.

Having spent 11 years in the military, I am proud of that, will salute the flag, and put my hand over my heart during the National Anthem, and will be content with computer fireworks, and go to bed knowing that next year I'll be in the U.S. during Independence Day - the first time in a long time, and I'm excited for that.

No comments: