Friday, September 25, 2015

Africa Part 5 - the Rains down in Africa


Today we spent part of our day driving around downtown again.  At one point we were pulled over by a traffic cop looking for a road side bribe.  The long-term missionary here was able to chat a bit with him in Fang, shared some pleasantries, and we were able to leave without handing over any money. 
This is a sweet couple we ate lunch with one day
We returned to have lunch with several board members of the seminary.  Four of the board members are Guinean nationals, and the other is the North American missionary.  They shared their vision with us, and we were able to talk to them about medical/mercy ministry.  It was a great time of getting to know each other.  Afterwards, we went back to the place we are staying and chilled out for a while.  I can feel the weariness of a new culture wearing on me.  Between not sleeping in my own bed (the bed we are in is a full-size spring mattress – so my feet hang off the end), eating food we are not accustomed to, experiencing a culture unlike any I’ve encountered before, I am beginning to feel wiped out.  We are going to have to get back to Honduras just to recover J  The Spanish here I mostly understand – they do speak Castilian, and therefore their accent is different, they have a mild lisp when they pronounce certain words, and they use a conjugation we just don’t use in Honduras – so at times I’ve had to have people repeat something, because my ears are not accustomed to their form of Spanish.
It’s exciting to be here though…exciting to experience this very unique culture.
I was a little goofy though…today we had a pretty big rain storm, and I have “Africa” by Toto on my ipad…and yes…I played it while it was raining…”…bless the rains down in  Africa…” Mike just shook his head and laughed at me,  but I didn’t mind in the least J

No comments: