Thursday, September 26, 2013

Intern Katie jumping in!

Katie, who joined Team Honduras just a few weeks ago jumped in immediately!  She has had experience with children's prorams, street kids, and other ministry in other countries, so when she found out she was going to be helping out in the clinic she was THRILLED!  So, day 1 I had her working in our intake area, and day 2 in our pharmacy.  With a few minor exceptions she is running my pharmacy.  She is learning how to say drugs like Digoxin, hydrochlorothiazide, and glibenclamide.  She is also learning generic names of all drugs like acetasalacyticacid is really just Asprin, acetaminophen is Tylenol, and also learning how to reconstitute drugs.  I always worry that people will be a little overwhelmed when they step foot in my pharmacy and take one look at all the different types of meds I have and go running, but she is taking it all in stride.  I do have some cheat sheets that tell location of meds, what their indication is, and how to give them, but she is asking less and less questions, and is doing a fantastic job!

No comments: