Saturday, August 31, 2013

What do you miss?

I am asked this question ALL the time!   I am asked by friends back home, I am asked by visiting missionaries, and I am asked by new people who have come to Honduras to live.  There is a list I could give, but quite honestly, most of the things are things I have chosen to give up, so to keep them on the forefront of my mind would not be a good idea.  We are surrounded by difficulties all the time - people dying, medical cares we can't take care of, extreme poverty, and an overwhelming need from everyone we see.  It honestly gets overwhelming at times...and we need time to just take a deep breath and remember why we are here.  To be the hands and feet of Christ, and to help those we can.

In the midst of all of this - it's hard to remember things that are "normal" back home.  Going to Home Depot and getting whatever kind of plant you want for your garden.  Pick up your plants, your fertilizer, a few gardening tools, and waalaa...you have a garden.  Here it's a whole other world.  Nothing eatable comes in plant form - everything must be grown from seed, then transplanted, then prayed upon to grow to fruition.  I've not had a lot of success.  

What grows...what doesn't.  Between the harsh sun and the torrential downpours, it's hard to figure out what will grow and what will perish.

I found two tomato plants the other day at a local nursery, and I couldn't have been more excited.  Now let's just see if I can keep them alive.  Yes, those are the kinds of things I miss.  Obviously friends, family, hanging out time, a sense of belonging...but in the midst of that - things that are "normal" - things like growing a garden...let's see where this takes me....

No comments: