Thursday, January 24, 2013

A Day in the life

I wake up, often times by an alarm clock, have a list of "things to do" and work to get to that I once in awhile forget the beauty that surrounds me.

I have to go to the bank to pay my rent, only to find out that the new contract hasn't been put into the system.  Call my "guy" and he says, "okay, it's good."  I go back, wait again, only to find out it STILL isn't in the bank.  To the store and there is NO milk.  I don't mean just a little, I mean NO milk.  And what else?  No chicken breast.  Seriously?!  Three stores later I finally manage to get the milk I went out to get, and the package of frozen chicken breast.  I get frustrated, and then, I pull up to my house and I gaze at this (see above picture)...and it's amazing...I take a deep breath and remember why I'm here in the first place.  Life isn't easy here.  It's full of difficulties, no electricity, no dryer, no dishwasher, scads of poor people asking for the bare necessities EVERY DAY.  It's exhausting.  The medical care (I'm just going to say it) SUCKS!  People die needlessly, babies are born premature only to die because of the lack of medical care, people with cancer have almost no chance, children starve, or are so severely malnourished they are unable to learn in school.  Doctors on strike, military not paid, corruption overwhelming  the government, and yet, here we are.  In the middle of it all.  I drive up to my house and glance at the incredible landscape that I have been given to see every day.  And it STILL takes my breath away.  Almost 5 years later I stare in awe at the beauty of this country I have come to work in.  All I can say - thank you!  I am privileged, humbled, and walk amongst people who are dirt poor but have so much joy in their lives.  I am here at the calling of God - to serve His people how He would see fit - not my decision, but His.  Thank you God!  Wow.

'Nuff said!


1 comment:

Liz K said...

uggg!!! The milk thing!! Happened to me the other day! And one time it cheese! Yikes! How are we to survive without cheese! :) How sweet God was to remind you of the bigger picture! Hang in there friend!