Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Clinic, crafts and clothes

The clinic is coming...the clinic is coming! Slowly but surely there will be a permanent clinic in Armenia Bonito!  As many of you know, I've been working out of a little cement building, with only an open window by my "station" for air/light.  John and the construction workers in Armenia have been working diligently to finish up this clinic.  It will have 4 exam rooms, a pharmacy, a supply room and a waiting room.  I can't even WAIT!  Along with this, many supplies, equipment, etc. will be needed.  SO...I've created a wish list.  On Amazon...it's kinda cool...you can see it here.   You will see lots of kids things (for the waiting room) and supply stuff (keep scrolling on the list) for use in the clinic.

my current clinic
The other thing I'm responsible for is Kids Club.  I have almost 50 kids each week that come and are learning the Children's Catechism.  With that in mind I use lots and lots and lots of craft supplies.  Anything from beads, to foam animals, to stickers, you name it.  A great source for that is Oriental Trading Company.  They have tons of stuff for an amazing price.

Moses and the 10 commandments
Finally, I have a monthly prenatal class.  I typically average 4 moms per class.  I teach them breathing techniques, healthy delivery ideas, even show them videos of moms having babies.  I let them know warning signs during pregnancy, and when to go to the hospital.  After the class is done, I give gift bags to each mom.  In this gift bag are all the things they are required to have before they are given their baby in the hospital.  They must bring in baby clothes, diapers, socks, a hat, a blanket, and they even must provide their own pads after delivery.  So many moms can't afford this.  I want to make sure each mom is equipped and not have to worry about this.  My home church, Soaring Oaks Presbyterian Church hosted a baby shower.  At this event the ladies of the church purchased TONS of things for these classes.  It was SUCH a huge blessing.  However...because my classes have been such a success, I'm already quickly running out of these items.  So...if that's something you feel led to give - let me know as well.  GoodWill is a great source for these items - gently used things are perfect and inexpensive!

Yoli is one of the moms who came to my class
If any of these things speak to you - that you would like to contribute to - let me know!  I can give you more details or help you out!  Coming down with a team?!  Bring it with you!  If you aren't coming with a team, but still want to help out - let me know, and I'll get a Stateside address to you for a team that is coming down, and they can bring it with them.

Can't WAIT to show some pictures of the clinic in action!  We shall see what the Summer brings!

No comments: