Saturday, May 16, 2009

Quite the adventure...

The day started out innocent enough. Andy, Madison and I headed out to Armenia Bonito to go check on my friend Walter. Walter is a 15 year old boy that had come to my clinic with a huge abscess that I opened, drained and packed. I wanted to change out his packing. On our way there we passed by a crowd of people around something. We looked questioningly - and the man with the machete in his hand held up the 5 foot python he just killed.


We then went and took care of Walter - unpacked his wound - cleaned it out - packed it again, and headed on our way out to a local watering hole. What we didn't know is the road had been dramatically damaged by some recent rains and flooding. Bottom line - we got stuck! Right when I decided to stop and go no further, my tires slipped over a 2 foot high rock, and my truck tilted up on 3 wheels. We jumped out of the car - took one look and knew there was no getting out. And of course, right then - the sky opened up. Within 2 minutes we were completely SOAKED! So, soaked and stuck in the middle of the jungle. I made several phone calls (yes, in the middle of the jungle we had cell phone reception - go figure). After about 40 minutes of waiting, my rescue came. We have a friend with a big 4X4 who hooked up to our truck. We had to dig out that 2 foot rock, and after much pusing and pulling we managed to get out. At this point, our trip to the river was at an end. We couldn't pass, and didn't want to push the limits of our day. So soaking wet, we made our way home to finish the exciting day in the comforts of our home.

1 comment:

The McClain's said...

So sorry you had a rough day...but look on the bright side- at least you got to the snake AFTER he had been killed and you weren't the one to find it! That would have been wayyy worse! :) Love you, friend!