Wednesday, September 6, 2017

The End of the Blog

This was the first day I visited Armenia Bonito in Honduras - where we would ultimately spend 8 years of our lives -the beginning of a season
On June 19, 2007 I started this blog.  I started it because I wanted to post on Mike's blog, and he "suggested" I start my own blog - and so I did.

As of the writing of this blog post, I had 202,614 page views, and 1,110 total posts - which averages out to 111 blog posts a year.  Blogger does a cool job of keeping your stats for you - I can even tell what countries are reading my blog posts:

U.S - 147,863 views
Russia - 8101
Honduras - 5649
Germany - 3593

Those are the big ones - but I can also see who else around the world has read them:
Spain
France
Ireland
Canada
Ukraine
U.K.
Bulgaria
Philippines
United Arab Emirates
Equatorial Guinea

My most viewed blog is Fox in Socks and Baby in Box with 5,858 views.

So why am I ending my blog (you noticed I didn't say shutting it down)?  I have plenty of friends who attempt to maintain a blog and only write once in awhile - and typically start their absent blog post with, "sorry it's been so long since I've blogged." They write once every 3 months or even longer (one person I follow hasn't written since July and another since May!)   I didn't want to do that.  And, my official capacity as a full-time missionary has come to an end.  As that was the motive for me to start my blog, it seems a reason for me to end my blog.

Now that I'm back in the U.S. - writing about my patients or my experiences won't be possible.  Gaining someone's permission to write about them here is quite a task - in Honduras or Equatorial Guinea I simply asked them there when I was sitting with them.  Here in the U.S. there's so many other factors that revolve around confidentiality, etc.

My husband's mission adventures is running full speed ahead - and his adventures will take him near and far - so his blog will continue to be a source of disseminating information and keeping everyone abreast of what The Pettengills are up to.

So why aren't I shutting it down?  My blog continues to be a resource for many people around the world - I can tell that by seeing people reading blogs I wrote years ago - it's a resource for anyone interested in missions, nurses who want an idea of what they can do on the field, a mother's perspective of raising a child in a third world country, etc.  So I'll definitely keep it up, and I'm sure it will continue to be read.

So I want to thank you - my avid readers, my faithful followers, those who have contributed to over 200,000 page views on my blog!  Thanks for coming along for the ride!

hanging out with the nurses I trained in Equatorial Guinea before we left - the end of a seson

7 comments:

SoniaStorm said...

Erin, my sweet friend-
Thank you for taking the time to share your joys, heartaches, inspirations, recipes, McGyver-like resourcesfulness (ha!), prayer requests, and thoughts while you were out "there" serving. I am one of the many receipienfs who has been blessed, inspired and encouraged by your blog, even as I served stateside. May the cost of it all be outweighed by the knowledge/hope to one day hear, "Well done, good and faithful servant!" ❤️

Adam Pawley said...

Thank you for all the years of updates, living through your eyes. It was my joy to read your updates, pains, and victories. God bless you and Mike in the years ahead. I will miss these updates that popped into my inbox every so often like a little gift.

Cindy in California said...

I'm not sure how I came across your blog but was reading it almost from the beginning, knowing of my "someday" desire to be a missionary in Honduras. "Someday" is becoming closer...I'm in my first week at ILE and will be in Honduras, God willing, in early 2019. So...you've returned to California and I've left California. Blessings in this next season of your ministry.

Unknown said...

Well thanks to everyone! Thanks Adam for keeping up with me, thanks Sonia for coming along for the ride, and Cindy - many blessings to you as you go on this new adventure where God is leading you to!

Unknown said...

Looking at this blog I am in utter awe!
I am currently in nursing school and I graduate in May with my bachelors. I so badly want to be a missionary nurse and work overseas. I have a heart for the nations and people and I feel like this is a perfect time to put it to use! I am looking for a paid job that I could work for a missionary Nurse corporation if that makes sense. Do you have any suggestions? SO badly want it!

Unknown said...

April, there are lots of organizations that use nurses - the agency I worked for is an example. Feel free to PM me at my e-mail address - maddysmother@yahoo.com

narwhaldatapartners said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.